Paramount Theater, Stapleton, Staten Island
Paramount Theater, Bay St. Staten Island
The Paramount Theater
on Bay Street, close to the waterfront in Stapleton, was considered the second most prestigious theater in the borough next to the Rococo-inspired St. George Theater. It was designed by architects Rapp and Rapp and opened in 1935 with a capacity of 2500 seats and two pipe organs. It became an adult movie venue in the 1970s, and was later transformed into a rock club. Before public performances where halted altogether in the early 80ies, the venue was famous for hosting The Ramones, Metallica, The B52’s, The New York Dolls among others.
Most of the interior has been gutted and the vast underground area with its old plumbing and stage facilities would give the perfect set for a horror movie. Running water that emerges from the ground and cracks in the walls stems from ancient springs that have been the lifeline to the many local breweries at the turn of the last century. Today the basic theater structure, inside wall ornaments and the outside façade are still in view.
Last Update 2008-06-15 | Copyrightę Christoph Mayer 2009